'Calm' - Herbal Tonic Soup
Herbal TONIC ‘Calm’
A Collaboration Between The Herborium and Mirosuna
The perfect daily tonic soup for those experiencing sleep disturbances, anxiety, stress or those who just need to unwind at the end of the day. An ideal accompaniment to your mindfulness practice.
Sip away your stress of the day with our herbal TONIC “calm” blend to nourish your Qi flow and Shen, also known as your mind and spirit.
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, your Shen flows between your heart, where it replenishes overnight to encourage sleep, and your mind, where it regulates your mental stimulation during the day.
Sleep disturbances and feelings of stress and anxiety is often attributed to disturbances of Shen. This gentle collection of herbs has been carefully chosen and harmonised to bring peace to your Shen to aid in unwinding, relaxing and ease into a more peaceful night’s rest.
This soup is gluten free. You can choose to create a vegan or meat variation out of Calm.
Made with Love
- Vegan friendly
- GF friendly version available
- Authentic, raw plant ingredients
- Food therapy based on TCM principles
- Hand crafted in Melbourne
Calm’s Key Healing Benefits:
- PORIA – calms the mind, strengthens the spleen, expels water retention
- LIQUORICE ROOT – strengthens the stomach and boosts digestion, replenishes Qi energy
- RED DATES – strengthens Qi energy and spleen, nourishes the blood and calms the spirit
- BLACK DATES – nourishes blood
- LONGAN – nourishes the heart, blood and spleen, calms the spirit
- ASTRAGALUS ROOT – strengthens Qi energy and spleen, powerful immunity booster
- LILY BULB – nourishes Yin, moistens the lungs, calms the spirit
- LOTUS SEED – nourishes the kidney and spleen
- ROSE – promotes smooth movement of Qi energy, nourishes the blood for skin and digestion
- SOUR JUJUBE SEED – nourishes the heart, calms the mind and spirit
How to Serve
Served on its own or as a delicious side. This method serves 6 – 8 sides. In Asian family and culture, it is an indispensable part of the daily Cantonese dining table to have a delicious bowl of heart-warming, body-hugging tonic alongside your main meal. You can also use Calm as a broth base for a hearty noodle soup.
Ingredients to gather
- 500g – 1kg of chicken, bone in. Substitute with your favourite veggies and veggie meat for a vegan option
- 2L water + extra to blanch protein and rinse herbs
- 4 generous slices of ginger
- (Vegan / Optional add-ins) Aromatics such as fresh and dried mushrooms, tofu, root vegetables, spring onion, coriander and nuts
- Salt to taste
(Vegan option – disregard step 1 & 3)
- Add protein to a medium-sized and fill with enough cold water to submerge protein. Bring to boil.
- In the meantime, rinse herbs. You may rinse through the muslin bag.
- Once the liquid has boiled, discard the liquid and any brown foam from the pot.
- Add to your pot with protein and any aromatics.
- Add 2L of cold water and bring to boil. Simmer on low heat: Stove top – 1.5 – 2.5 hrs. Pressure cooker: 20 mins. Slow cooker: 2+ hrs.
Season salt to taste, rest for 5 mins and serve hot.
The longer the herbal tonic has been cooked, the more the tonic will reduce into a beautiful, darker and richer flavour. If you have never tried Chinese herbal soups before, start from the minimum cooking time for a milder flavour and taste the tonic throughout the cooking process to figure out your preferred flavour strength.
(Recommended) For a richer, full flavour tonic, cook the night before & leave in the herbs to allow further infusion. When you are ready to serve, just bring to boil.
You may substitute water with veggie or meat stock for further flavour enhancement. If using meat, option to skim the layer of fat from the surface and discard before serving.
- Our herbal blends have been curated and balanced by a qualified and experienced Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner, not only for their healing benefits, but also flavour.
- Key healing benefits are based on TCM principles.
- Consult with your TCM practitioner if pregnant, taking medications or suffering from a serious health condition before consumption.
- Due to the nature of natural herbs, there may be slight variations in colour and taste with each batch, but never in the quality.